วันศุกร์ที่ 2 เมษายน พ.ศ. 2553

Guitar Modes Explained

I've always believed that I didn't find guitar modes, they found me. Back when I first moved to the United States one of the my main goals was to take advantage of all the learning resources I could.

After realizing that I wanted to do more than just copy the licks of my favorite players, I searched on the net for some lessons and found some that I liked. That was ten years ago so I don't remember the name now.

One of the things they offered was to explain the modes in a new and easy way within the first 2 months. I didn't even know what guitar modes were but after searching the net for names like Phrygian and Locrian I was intrigued.

I have to admit that I'm more on the geeky side, so things to do with numbers, intervals, ratios that's all my game. But the fun of guitar modes is the subjective value that musicians place on the sounds and tonalities of different modes.

That Phrygian is kind of gypsy and dark, that the Mixolydian sounds funky, the Dorian jazzy and a little latin, I'll advise that if you don't enjoy that aspect you might have a hard time understanding modes.

After fully understanding what modes are and how to play them I've been perplexed by how many players find them so difficult to grasp. I've found monster players with technique for days that don't get what a Lydian mode is.

First of all get used to the notion that the word mode means what it says, 'a way of doing things'. Not a musical scale.

From a musical perspective though every single musical scale is a mode, I repeat, every single musical scale known to man, women and all other denominations is a mode. Because it's a way, or a mode, of arranging the notes.

For more resources to improve your technique visit my Squidoo page --> Guitar Theory Modes

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Pedro_Rocha

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น